Being able to create a routine and enforce it are two things that not always go hand in hand. I make sure to repeat the rules, but at the same time, I try not to be boring. So sometimes I simply state the rule and the procedure to act, but sometimes I simply try to find better way, like pantomime or game of association. It's interesting for students to guess the steps, especially at the beginning.
This is great way to have some my routines assessed and commented since I've been using them for years.
Routine for latecomers:
1. Knock on the door and enter quietly.
2. Wait for teacher's sign to speak up and apologize.
3. Leave phone in your slot in the box.
4. Take your seat and get ready for work.
5. Quietly ask your neighbor about the assigned task.
6. Start your work.
Routine for class discussions:
1. Raise your hand and wait for your turn.
2. State your argument/question/answer/replica and explain it.
3. Be polite and constructive.
4. Thank others for being patient.